Chippewa County School Employees Credit Union was founded in 1955 by a group of school teachers who thought the credit union philosophy of “People Helping People” was intriguing. These few volunteers started the credit union out of a shoe box that served as the cash drawer, as Mrs. Grout would make her rounds throughout the halls of Sault High School.
Over the years, the credit union grew. An office was opened and employees were eventually hired. The name underwent a few changes, of course staff has changed, and we’ve moved to a bigger space, but we’re still the same. We take pride in being able to serve not only teachers and school administrators but our community as well.
Today, we’re proud of our roots. Our members tell great stories of the first days in 1955 when they needed to make a cash withdrawal or get a loan. We’ve been around longer than a half century and we still believe in People Helping People.